Sunday, May 29, 2022

Repeating Myself: 1999 911 early-build 996 Carrera with Factory Aero Kit

Anyone who knows me well, knows that my first Porsche was a 1985 turbo look cabriolet. Never should’ve sold the car. My second Porsche was a 1999 ocean blue 996 with factory aero kit. Loved that car and drove it for many, many miles over a number of years. I talked about it in my old blog post called “A Not-So Short History of My Car Obsession”, which is now a bit dated. But that car still calls to me. 

http://davecarguy.blogspot.com/2011/12/short-history-of-my-car-obsession.html?m=1

I’ve owned many cars since I sold it, and have driven all the newer stuff without feeling the need to own many of the more upscale Porsche offerings. I came really close last summer to buying something brand new from Porsche. But it didn’t excite me enough. Then I got an opportunity to re-invite what feels like an old friend back into my home. I found this (below) somewhat rare, early VIN 996 with Factory Aero Kit, 6-speed, factory Sport design wheels with just 17,000 miles on it (below). Not blue, but they’re hard to find. Old friends are the best friends, and this black 996 felt familiar, so I bought it from out of state, shipped it, and brought it into the garage in August, just as the 996-generation 911 car valuations started to rally. 

I couldn’t be happier. For those who know the 996 story, these early build cars were built alongside the 993s at the end of their production. It actually has a 993 VIN. The early cars had a better IMS bearing, different interior finishes, no drive-by-wire, etc. I bought it thinking I’d flip it on Bring-a-Trailer but you don’t do that to an old friend. It has a new clutch, upgraded IMS, new rear main seal, new brakes, and zero over-revs. Only 17,000 miles! One owner!! A true unicorn. 

My only plan is to lower it like my old one. I won’t drive it much, and I’ll probably someday sell it for far more than what I paid… some day. But for now, there’s finally a P car back in the garage after I sold three of them in the last couple of years. 

Welcome home, old friend !


The color is black metallic. Cool color but not as nice as my old blue one. If I ever find a blue one, I'll buy it. But I haven't seen one for sale in years with Aero.

Here is the option code sticker (kind of the holy grail of options for many. the only thing missing to be even better would be 030: sports suspension 10MM lower or maybe the hollow-spoke wheels):

XAA: Factory Aero Kit
XRB: Sport Classic 2-piece wheels
220: Limited Slip Diff
222: Traction control ASR
424: CD compartment (woohoo! 1999!)
437 and 438: 8- way elec seat, left and right
513 and 586: Lumbar 4-way, both seats
537: seat memory
688: CD radio Becker Porsche
936: Leather rear seats
983: Leather front seats

112333

Here is a summary of the differences of teh early 1999s vs teh updated 2000 911s, that one Porsche enthusiast posted in a 1999 911 BaT auction 

MY1999 vs MY2000+

*No eGas /legacy cable-throttle (C2 only).

*No PSM/nannies; legacy ABS (C2 only).

*No bothersome mandatory computer (“Visit Workshop!” etc., etc.)

*Manual cable operated frunk and engine lid releases (versus electric controls that die along with a with dead battery precluding [most ironically] battery access) [Note: some MY2000 retain manual operation].

*“Buffalo Hyde” dash material that is elegantly pebbled and matte, and far more attractive (and less distracting) than the gauche, “shiny” & highly reflective pleather (plastic) dash materials MY2000+.

*“Granite” interior accent material that is “color thru” and was shared with Rolls Royces of the same period. Again much more matte and eminently more durable than the ubiquitous “soft touch” rubberized plastics that followed MY2000+.

*Amber lensed head and tail lights from 11/97-08/98 build dates; these are a gorgeous aesthetic touch paired with almost any standard color offered at the time; especially the darker shades (C2 only).

*Less sound deadening and insulation materials that raises the glorious engine note, and lowers the chassis weight, versus MY2000+.

*Connolly Hyde wrapped 993 steering wheel was standard, which was an elegant, vintage touch (and lovingly familiar to the “Luftekhult”).

*Early amber lensed MY1999 examples (11/97-08/98) were manufactured by hand, in sequence with the MY98 993, on the legacy 993 assembly line. Whether perceived or real, many collectors believe this graced the original Early MY1999 with a tangibly increased build quality (C2 only).

*Robust MY1999 DUAL ROW IMS BEARING, versus multifarious MY2000+ M96/97 dismantler-bound iterations all tragically with less than half the bearing capacity as the 1999 original.

Gotta love the bronze in the metallic black.


I then had the car PPF wrapped on the front end and had the suspension updated and lowered a tad. The old shocks were a bit worn from age, but not mileage. I had the H&R coilover street kit added. I kept the old springs and bump stops of I ever want to go back to stock. But I can safely say I like this setup a ton. The car feels less floaty in fast corners. Better stance, too. Now I just need to decide if I want to push the tire profile out a bit with 7mm spacers. 

Also had the mufflers changed to a 996 stage one muffler. Just a tad more growl, but nothing crazy. Sweet sound at all rpm levels. 

I LOVE this car. For those looking for the most reasonable way to get into a 911, the 996 is a great option. 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment