Sunday, November 11, 2018

An Aston Martin, a Redwood forest, and a Cobra museum

Today’s adventures start with something I’ve been saying for years: if I could have just one car, it would be an Aston Martin. In fact, it would be this one: The 2007 V8 Vantage I’ve had since I purchased it new in November 2006, 12 years ago now. It does everything well, and still gives me a sense of “occasion” whether I’m taking it to the grocery store or a long road trip. 

Today, my wife and I decided we should take a hike, and one of our favorite spots nearby also happens to have a nice set of roads leading to it. So naturally I was excited to take the Aston and let her stretch her legs, just as we would be doing. 



First stop... the gas station. For my out of state friends: yes, this is what we pay here. 



Getting back into the car, I often forget to look down at this little detail on the door sill. Most people don’t opt for this level of personalization on the factory sill plate, because some day they’ll sell the car. I never considered that would be an issue. So I like it...



I also like the instrument cluster, the “crystal” surround on the start button, the counter-direction tachometer, and the lighted words on the dash when you start it up that light up sequentially... “Power...Beauty...Soul”





Our destination today is Redwood Regional Park. It sits atop a ridge straddling the bustle of Oakland and the quiet town of Moraga. It’s just a 25 minute drive from my house, and although it is minutes from a big city, it is world’s away in feel. If you come from the East, Moraga, you come up Pinehurst Rd and the Redwood Highway through a crazy cool little town of Canyon. There’s some history there, but that’s for another discussion. Suffice to say that the roads are so seldom travelled, that the detritus from the oaks and redwoods barely gets swept away by car traffic. 















We arrived at the north gate to Redwood regional Park. We hiked down the stream trail along what is now a dry creek, but during the winter and spring is quite wet. If you go here, spend several hours getting lost in the quiet solitude of the trees.











After a few hours, we made it back to the car and enjoyed a slow drive home along Skyline ridge. I am reminded that this is possibly my favorite car, ever. 







Upon arrival home, I got a call from my vintage racing friend, Bruce, who invited me to a screening of “Smokey and the Bandit” at the “Cobra Experience” museum in Martinez, CA. It was worth the short drive to see this great place that is dedicated to all things Cobra and Shelby. The owner of the place even purchased a bunch of the original tools and furniture from Carroll Shelby’s original shop. Super cool place. Check it out at www.cobraexperience.org















No comments:

Post a Comment