Friday, December 29, 2023

Removing the Datsun 510 Transmission, Clutch replacement coming soon!

As a follow-up to my post about the purchase of my 1969 original-owner Datsun 510, and the one about my first steps in the restoration, several months of driving had lead me to the decision to replace the clutch.

Of course that, as always, is leading to more of the "While I'm in there..." disease. 

To replace the clutch. I pulled the transmission, and to do so I needed to remove the motor mounts to tilt the engine, and I had to remove hoses, etc for the tilt. So now the engine is completely disconnected so I'm compelled to just go ahead and take it out to more easily do the clutch and rebuild at least the top end while cleaning the whole thing up. 

After 53 years of some neglect, I have a feeling this is going to take me down a long path. But hey, that's why I bought the car, to bring it at least partially back to its original glory. The engine bay is the least nice part of the car, so I'll have to decide just how far I want to go in re-wiring, refinishing and painting it. Since I have no plans to repaint the whole car, I expect I'll be a bit hesitant to over-do the engine bay, but we shall see.

Removing the transmission without a second pair of hands was sometimes frustrating. I should have asked for some help but I kinda wanted to do it myself. At least now it's out and getting cleaned up. More updates to follow!









No comments:

Post a Comment