Tuesday, March 28, 2023

First Steps Restoring the Datsun 510

Now that I've committed to a sympathetic restoration, the first steps are to figure out what exactly I'm working with. So I started by doing a deep wash. I used a pressure washer to get underneath and start seeing what is under 52 years of accumulated road grime. It turns out that the car has lots of good original paint under here and I think a proper cleaning of the suspension and undercarriage will require some steam cleaning. Then I'll know more about the actually condition of the parts. Hopefully, the dirt isn't the glue holding it all together!





She cleans up pretty well, but more to come on that later. 

Next step is to move it inside, get it up on stands, and find out what the brakes and suspension are going to need. Also time to start tearing out the interior.








Again, I'm pleased with how clean things are once I get under it all. I'm going to fully recondition the floors. The black paint under the driver footwell is just surface stuff, seemingly painted to avoid corrosion because there is nothing bad underneath it. I'll plan on sanding it down and returning it to original color (Datsun orange 918 according to the factory paint tag). Now to order carpet jute for lining and a new carpet kit in OEM loop/pile black.

After a long weekend away, I came back to start tearing down the dashboard. the original dash pad is cracked, but the vinyl and plastic parts surrounding gauges and glove back are really nice. After a bit of washing and conditioning, they are looking new! I used PlastX on the plastic gauge covers and used compressed air and dug inside the gauges to remove all the dust and dirt making them look old. 

Now I need to find a way to recondition or replace the dash pad while also looking for an upholstery option to return the seats to their OEM vinyl elegance!








After a little reconditioning...







OK, that's all for now.  Plenty of vendors to contact and find parts.


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you got yourself a great Datsun 510!!! Can't wait to see your progress!! Congrats 👍 I'm still researching and looking for a Datsun 510

    ReplyDelete